PharmD/MS in Clinical and Translational Science
Note: this joint degree is suspended until further notice and not accepting new students.
The UIC College of Pharmacy and the UIC School of Public Health offer a joint degree program leading to the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) and Master of Science in Clinical and Translational Science (MS CTS) degrees.
The program of study leading to the PharmD/MS CTS joint degree is offered by the Health Policy and Administration Division. Full-time students may complete the degree in five years.
- Must apply and be accepted to both the UIC College of Pharmacy and UIC School of Public Health
- Apply for joint degree program on admission application
Joint Degree Contacts Heading link
Mandatory Applications Heading link
Degree Requirements Heading link
School-Wide Core Requirements (26 semester hours)
- BSTT 400 – Biostatistics I (4 semester hours)
- EPID 403 – Introduction to Epidemiology: Principles and Methods (3 semester hours)
- IPHS 520 – Public Health Frameworks for Researchers (3 semester hours)
- IPHS 598 – Research in the Public Health Sciences – MS (16 semester hours)
Divisional Core Requirements (12 semester hours)
- BHIS 509 – Informatics for the Clinical Investigator (3 semester hours)
- BSTT 401 – Biostatistics II (4 semester hours)
- HPA 522 – Public Health Research Design and Methods (3 semester hours)
- HPA 526 – Leadership and Diversity in Clinical Research (2 semester hours)
- HPA 590 – Grant Writing (1 semester hour)
- GC 501 – Scientific Integrity and Responsible Research (1 semester hour)
Electives (6 semester hours)
All students must complete a minimum of 6 semester hours of electives selected from across disciplines at UIC. With input from their advisor and mentor, students will choose appropriate electives that are tailored to their unique backgrounds, skill levels, areas of interest, research focus, and future goals. At least 9 semester hours must be 500-level courses excluding thesis or independent study.
About the requirements
The PharmD requires 133 semester hours to complete. Some courses may be shared with the MS in Clinical and Translational Sciences degree. Reference the joint degree handbook, linked below, for more information. For more information on PharmD requirements, contact Thomas TenHoeve at email@example.com or (312) 996-7242.