The Maternal and Child Health Scholars program supports Community Health Sciences PhD students who are interested in gaining expertise in maternal and child health (MCH). The degree is coordinated by the UIC Center of Excellence in Maternal and Child Health, one of only 13 centers nationwide funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
The Center's mission is to train future and current professionals to address health inequities among women, children and families. Curricula are rigorous, evidence-based and steeped in social justice, practical experience, and collaboration with communities and various maternal and child health partners. The Center's goal is the development of local to global leaders focused on supporting the health and well-being of women, children and families.
Coursework, faculty research and student dissertations for those with a focus on MCH address:
- Key theoretical frameworks relevant to the non-reproductive and reproductive health of women, as well as healthy pregnancies, fetal and infant outcomes.
- Key social, cultural, biological, and environmental factors contributing to the health, wellbeing, and observed inequities among pregnant and non-pregnant women and infants across population groups, and communities.
- Epidemiology of MCH populations in the US and the factors that drive health inequities in these populations.
- Major social, political, psychological and economic values and assumptions that influence the development and implementation of health and health–related policies.
- Skills in communicating to policy makers and other stakeholders about a policy problem and potential policy solutions.
- Systems approach and systems thinking in analysis of public health problems affecting MCH populations, and the development of interventions.
- Structure and financing of governmental MCH service delivery systems at the federal, state, and local levels and the intersection of these systems with private sector partners.
- Professional and leadership development.
The School of Public Health also offers a PhD concentration in Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology.