Delta Omega Honorary Society
The Alumni Board of the UIC School of Public Health is now accepting nominations for individuals to be elected to the Lambda chapter of the Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health.
Delta Omega Honory Society Scholarship Application Information
Scholarship Application Information
Dear SPH Graduating and Recently Graduated Students:
Would you be interested in becoming a member of the Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health? If you graduated in Summer or Fall 2019 or have applied to graduate in Spring 2020, now is the time for you to apply for Delta Omega.
Delta Omega members are inducted by local chapters through a highly-selective process that assesses their outstanding performance and devotion to the field. To maintain the credibility of this prestigious society, chapters are limited in the number of members they may induct each year. Each year our Lambda Chapter at UIC selects new student, faculty and alumni members, according to the national guideline for yearly inductions.
To be considered for this honor, you must be ranked in the upper 25% of their graduating class (usually this translates to a GPA of over 3.90 on a 4 point scale at UIC SPH), and you should demonstrate public health leadership qualities in addition to academic excellence. Students who graduated in Summer 2019 or Fall 2019, or expect to graduate in Spring 2020 are now being considered. Selection is very competitive, and only 10% of the graduating class meeting the top 25% GPA criteria can be selected.
Delta Omega members have a number of benefits available to them. At the national level, Delta Omega offers all chapters and members with leadership development and publication opportunities, networking opportunities, and discounted resources. For more details, please see: https://deltaomega.org/member-benefits/
If you want to be considered for this honor, please apply via the UIC SNAP application system at: https://uic.academicworks.com/opportunities/8253
The deadline to be considered is
March 6, 2020. Student inductees will be noted in the Spring 2020 SPH Commencement Program.
John T. Slavick, MS
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
School of Public Health
University of Illinois at Chicago
- Must be an alumnus or alumna of the UIC School of Public Health, having received an MPH, MS, DrPH, PhD, or MHA from the School.
- Must be currently employed in the field of public health.
- Must not already be a Delta Omega member (either as a student or faculty member)
- Must demonstrate exemplary achievement in public health (community service, teaching and/or scholarship) as evidenced by (in no particular order of importance):
- Receipt of awards
- Publication of notable works in his or her field
- Work with or for community-based organizations
- Leadership positions in professional or academic public health
- Accomplishment in education (community, public, or higher education)
- Development of innovative public health programming
- Recognition as an expert is his/her field
- Mentoring younger public health professionals
- Shaping important public policy initiatives
To nominate someone, please submit a recommendation letter outlining reasons for the nomination and a current CV to email@example.com by March 6, 2020.