Increased use and complexity of pharmaceuticals has caused heightened concerns about medication safety and effectiveness. Understanding the intricacies of how medication affects populations has never been more difficult, or important. It is an integral part of everything from individual treatment decisions to public health policy making. And it is the cornerstone of the UIC Pharmacoepidemiology Online Certificate program.
The program is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to the primary methodologies of pharmacoepidemiology research. As such it integrates material from biostatistics, epidemiology, pharmacy, and policy and regulatory science.
The program is a coordinated effort between the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy’s Department of Pharmacy Systems, Outcomes and Policy, and School of Public Health’s Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Both are top-rated programs, each of which boasts faculty who are national and international leaders in their field. These experts will be lead the courses that comprise this 100% online program.
The course selection and faculty ensure that the participants will receive a thorough grounding in the subject matter
On completion of the program you will be able to:
- understand and critically evaluate the design and application of surveillance and population-based approaches to gauge the benefits and harms of drugs and biological preparations released for widespread use;
- apply epidemiologic techniques to study patterns and determinants of drug use;
- describe and understand key regulatory requirements in biomedical product regulation related to safety; and
- work within the drug development process and life-cycle to implement efforts to measure and ensure medication safety.
The Pharmacoepidemiology Certificate program is designed for working professionals who are looking to advance their career in either pharmacoepidemiology or pharmacovigilance. The online structure of the program provides the flexibility that working professionals require, while maintaining the highest level of rigor in the material taught. The online program also makes the program accessible regardless of where you live in the US or elsewhere in the world.
The program is ideal for people working in:
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Government agencies
- Health care organizations
- Public health departments
- And many others
Graduates will be prepared to manage multi-disciplinary pharmacoepidemiologic research, and healthcare and pharmaceutical policy evaluation studies.