Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Occupational Safety Concentration

Occupational safety practice involves identifying and addressing potential hazards, developing and implementing safety protocols and procedures, training employees, and creating a work environment that minimizes the risk of accidents, injuries, or illnesses.

When you get a degree in occupational safety, you will learn about the health, safety, and well-being of workers in their workplace. The selected coursework will enable students to approach safety problems from an engineering hazard control perspective while understanding how these problems fit into the broader societal spectrum of the public’s health. Students who complete the concentration in Occupational Safety are eligible to become a Graduate Safety Practitioner (GSP ®) upon graduation.

Students in Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences may choose to pursue a formal concentration in Occupational Safety as part of the MPH or MS degree program by noting such in their application materials. Apply today!

Degrees & Curriculum Heading link

Students can enroll in our Master of Public Health (MPH) or Master of Science (MS) program in occupational safety. All students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to develop, manage, and evaluate occupational safety and health interventions.                    Which degree is right for you?

MPH: Practical focus, with internships and capstone projects.

MS: Research-oriented, with a thesis requirement.

Students must complete the school-wide core requirements and a sufficient number of the following courses as part of their divisional and elective choices as necessary to attain 48 semester hours of credit for the Master of Public Health degree and 52 semester hours of credit for the Master of Science degree. In addition, students must adhere to the divisional requirements as stipulated for their individual program of study.

Admission Requirements Heading link

In addition to a BA or BS degree, students should have at least one year of college math and college-level science coursework in chemistry, and either biology or physics prior to starting our MPH or MS occupational safety concentration.

Funding & Traineeships Heading link

Traineeships are awarded to US Citizens MPH, MS, and PhD students interested in pursuing an Occupational Safety curriculum. Due to federal funding of the trainee program, only US Citizens and US Permanent Residents are eligible to be considered for these positions. Current students interested in consideration for the traineeship should talk to the traineeship director (contact information below).  The traineeship is coordinated through the Great Lakes Center for Occupational Health and Safety.

Information Sessions Heading link

View & share our flyer Occupational Safety

Concentration Contacts Heading link

Learn more. Book a meeting with us today!