MPH Applied Practice Experience/Field Experience
WHAT IS AN APPLIED PRACTICE (AP) EXPERIENCE?
An applied practice experience is required of all Master of Public Health students (IPHS 650). The purpose is for students to acquire experience and develop skills in the application of basic public health concepts. The learning objectives for this course have been listed in the MPH student handbook and on the IPHS 650 Registration Form/Learning Agreement.
PLANNING YOUR APPLIED PRACTICE EXPERIENCE (AP) /FIELD EXPERIENCE
STEP ONE : SELF REFLECTION & CAREER TOOLS PREPARATION
- Students should consider their strengths, values, interests, and personal/career goals as they think about what they would like to do for their applied practice/field experience. They can complete the Applied Practice/Field Experience brainstorming worksheet to help with this process. They can also attend a AP Experience Brainstorming Session. Click here for dates/times of these sessions.
- Students can visit the UIC SPH Career Services Office's website to review current internship/field experience opportunities. Note: Several of the internship opportunities can and will meet the field experience requirement but students must meet with their division field experience advisor to discuss the opportunity and get approval.
- Students should also consider when they would like to register for the Applied Practice/Field Experience course (IPHS 650). They should review the registration deadlines for IPHS 650 and create a tentative timeline for this process. We suggest that students start the process at least 4 months before they want to register for IPHS 650.
- Students should begin to work on their resumes and LinkedIn profiles assuming they would need to submit or refer to these career tools during the applied practice/field experience process. The UIC SPH Career Services Office hosts resume and LinkedIn workshops throughout the school year. Visit the UIC SPH Career Services Office website for dates and times of events/workshops.
STEP TWO: MEET WITH YOUR DIVISION LEVEL FIELD EXPERIENCE ADVISOR
Each division has a Field Experience Advisor who can meet with students to discuss their interests, brainstorm possible projects, and answer questions.
STEP THREE: FORMAL PARTNERSHIP (CONTRACT) PROCESS
UIC SPH is required to have formal partnerships (contracts) with organizations that serve as applied practice/field experience sites. Currently we have formal partnerships with approximately 200 organizations. If an organization is not a formal partner students need to contact Jaime Klaus, Assistant Director of Internships Programs to ensure a partnership is established before they begin their field experience/practicum. This process can be lengthy, so students are advised to start this process a semester before they plan to do their applied practice experience.
STEP FOUR: IPHS 650 REGISTRATION & LEARNING AGREEMENT
In order to register for this course students need to submit the IPHS 650 Registration Form/Learning Agreement and submit their preceptor's resume to their division Academic Coordinator and/or Field Experience Advisor.
DURING APPLIED PRACTICE EXPERIENCE/FIELD EXPERIENCE
- Students are expected to perform duties & activities in the learning agreements.
- Students must ensure they are completing any additional division requirements (journal entries).
AFTER APPLIED PRACTICE EXPERIENCE/FIELD EXPERIENCE
- Students and preceptors must submit evaluations.
- Students should reflect on how the experiences & skills that they have learned or enhanced can be used to meet their career goals, and how these experiences can inform and help guide their future career decisions. Students are encouraged to attend UIC SPH Career Events and schedule an appointment with UIC SPH Career Services Office staff to help them explore and reflect on how their experiences relate to their overall career goals and life/career satisfaction.
RESOURCES & FORMS
- MPH/MSW AP Experience Registration Policy
- Roles & Responsibilities of Advisors, Staff, Students, and Preceptors
- Cold Emailing Guide
- Tips for Initial Conversation with Potential Organization or Preceptor
- AP Experience Registration Deadlines
- List of UIC SPH Formal Partnerships (Contracts)
- IPHS 650 Registration Form/Learning Agreement
- Tips on How to Maximize Your AP Experience
- Petition to Waive IPHS 650/AP Experience
- Student Evaluation
- Preceptor Evaluation
- Frequently Asked Questions