MPH Applied Practice (AP) Experience
WHAT IS AN APPLIED PRACTICE (AP) EXPERIENCE?
An AP experience is required of all Master of Public Health students (IPHS 650). The purpose of this course is for students to acquire experience and develop practical skills in the application of public health competencies and concepts.
REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS & DEADLINES (IPHS 650)
Students are required to register for their AP experience (IPHS 650) for a minimum of 3 credit hours but students can register for up to 5 credit hours (between 192 and 320 hours in the field, where 1 credit hour is equal to 64 contact hours). The AP Experience can be completed in a single semester or over several semesters. Students may choose a cost saving option by requesting to register for 0 credit hours* in the summer semester but, they must get approval from the AP Experience advisor and the AP experience must overlap with the fall or spring semester, and the student has to be registered for 3-5 semester hours during that semester.
Students should review the registration deadlines for IPHS 650 and create a tentative timeline for this process. Click here for registration deadlines.
MSW/MPH students have a different registration policy. Please review the MPH Student Handbook for more information.
*Students will still be charged a graduate base fee, tuition differentials, fees and assessments. Click here for more information.
INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD (IRB) & HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY & ACCOUNTABILITY ACT (HIPPA) TRAINING
PLANNING YOUR APPLIED PRACTICE (AP) EXPERIENCE
STEP ONE : SELF REFLECTION & CAREER TOOLS PREPARATION
- Students should consider their strengths, values, interests, and personal/career goals as they think about what they would like to do for their applied practice experience. They can complete the Applied Practice Experience brainstorming worksheet to help with this process. They can also attend a AP Experience Brainstorming Session. Click here for dates/times of these sessions.
- Students can visit the UIC SPH Career Services Office's website to review current internship/Applied Practice experience opportunities.
- Students should begin to work on their resumes and LinkedIn profiles assuming they would need to refer to these career tools during the applied practice experience process. The UIC SPH Career Services Office hosts resume and LinkedIn workshops throughout the school year. Visit the UIC SPH Career Services Office website for dates and times of events/workshops.
STEP TWO: MEET WITH YOUR DIVISION LEVEL AP EXPERIENCE ADVISOR
Each division has a AP Advisor who can meet with students to discuss their interests, brainstorm possible projects, and answer questions.
STEP THREE: FORMAL PARTNERSHIP (CONTRACT) PROCESS
UIC SPH is required to have formal partnerships (contracts) with organizations that serve as AP Experience sites. Currently we have formal partnerships with approximately 200 organizations. Click here for a list UIC SPH formal partnerships.
If an organization is not a formal partner students need to contact Jaime Klaus, Assistant Director of Internships Programs to ensure a partnership is established before they begin their field experience/practicum. This process can be lengthy, so students are advised to start this process a semester before they plan to do their applied practice experience.
STEP FOUR: IPHS 650 REGISTRATION**
In order to register for this course students need to submit the IPHS 650 Registration Form/Learning Agreement and submit it to their division Academic Coordinator and/or AP Experience Advisor.
DURING APPLIED PRACTICE EXPERIENCE EXPERIENCE
- Students are expected to perform duties & activities outlined in the learning agreement.
- Students must complete any additional division-level requirements or assignments (journal entries).** Contact your AP Experience Advisor for more information.
AFTER APPLIED PRACTICE EXPERIENCE EXPERIENCE
- Students and preceptors must submit evaluations.**
- Students should reflect on how the experiences & skills that they have learned or enhanced can be used to meet their career goals, and how these experiences can inform and help guide their future career decisions. Students are encouraged to attend UIC SPH Career Events and schedule an appointment with UIC SPH Career Services Office staff to help them explore and reflect on how their experiences relate to their overall career goals and life/career satisfaction.
There will be a series of AP Experience Information & Brainstorming Sessions held during the semester. In these sessions, students will be able to ask questions about the AP Experience and begin to brainstorm about where they would like to complete their AP Experience. Click here for more information.
- Roles & Responsibilities of Students, Advisors, & Preceptors
- Cold Emailing Guide
- Tips for Initial Conversation with Potential Organization or Preceptor
- Tips on How to Maximize Your AP Experience
- AP Experience Information & Brainstorming Sessions
**There will be changes to the registration process, required assignments, and evaluations starting summer 2019.