Christina R Welter, DrPH, MPH
Clinical Assistant Professor
Associate Director, DrPH Program
Health Policy and Administration
Building & Room:
1603 W. Taylor St.
Christina R. Welter, DrPH, MPH
Christina R. Welter, DrPH, MPH is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Community Health Sciences Division at the University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health. She also serves as the Associate Director of the Doctorate in Public Health Leadership and the Director of the MidAmerica Center for Public Health Practice.
Dr. Welter’s passion is to facilitate practice and academic partnerships where practice drives important research to collectively understand, create, implement, and evaluate innovative and enduring change. Her expertise and scholarship specifically focuses on participatory action research to influence policy, environment, and systems (PSE) change that responds to root causes of health inequities and builds leadership capacity among diverse constituents to sustain PSE efforts.
Dr. Welter leads several national leadership and practice-based research initiatives, such as serving on the National Maternal and Child Health Workforce Center’s Adaptive Leadership Core and as Co-Investigator of Healthy Communities through Healthy Work Initiative at the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health funded UIC SPH Center for Healthy Work. Dr. Welter was recently awarded the Illinois Public Health Association’s 2018 Public Health Excellence Award and was the 2018 runner-up for the Health Administration Research-to-Practice Award.
- Asada, Y., Gilmet, K., Welter, C., Massuda-Barnett, G., Kapadia, D. A., & Fagen, M. (2018). Applying Theory of Change to a Structural Change Initiative: Evaluation of Model Communities in a Diverse County. Health Education & Behavior, 1090198118818233.
- Griffen, A. K., Risley, K., Petros, M., & Welter, C. (2018). Inclusion Wheel: Tool for Building Capacity and Public Health Leaders to Serve People With Disabilities. Health promotion practice, 1524839918788578.
- Kovach, K. A., Welter, C., Seweryn, S. M., & Torres, G. (2018). Perceived Benefits of Collaboration between Local Health Departments and Schools and Programs of Public Health: A Mixed-Methods Study. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice
- Welter, C., Jacobs, B. A., Jarpe-Ratner, E., Naji, S., & Gruss, K. (2017). Building capacity for collective action to address population health improvement through communities of practice: A distance-based education pilot. Pedagogy in Health Promotion, 3(1_suppl), 21S-27S.
- Jaskiewicz, L., Dombrowski, R. D., Barnett, G. M., Mason, M., & Welter, C. (2015). Training local organizations to support healthy food access: results from a year-long project. Community Development Journal, bsv022.
- Lenihan, P., Welter, C., Brandt-Rauf, P., Neuberger, B., Pinsker, E., Petros, M., & Risley, K. (2015). The University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health Doctor of Public Health Program: An Innovative Approach to Doctoral-Level Practice Leadership Development. American journal of public health, 105(S1), S55-S59.
- Wiebel, V., Welter, C., Aglipay, G., & Rothstein, J. (2014). Maximizing Resources With Mini-Grant: Enhancing Preparedness Capabilities and Capacity in Public Health Organizations. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. Volume 20, S83-S88.
- Fagen, M. C., Asada, Y., Welch, S., Dombrowski, R., Gilmet, K., Welter, C., Stern, L., Massuda Barnett, G., & Mason, M. (2014). Policy, systems, and environmentally oriented school-based obesity prevention: Opportunities and challenges. Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community, 42(2), 95-111.
- Massuda Barnett, G., Dombrowski, R., Welter, C., Mason, M., Geraci, M., Gilmet, K., Fagen, M. C., & Kapadia, D. (2014). Model communities: A vital strategy to implementing policy and environmental change for active living and addressing health equity in suburban cook county, Illinois. American Journal of Health Promotion, 28(3 Supplement), S124-125.
- Jaskiewicz, L., Dombrowski, R., Drummond, H., Massuda Barnett, G., Mason, M., and Welter, C. (2013). Partnering with Community Institutions to Increase Access to Healthy Foods across Municipalities. Preventing Chronic Disease, 10, 130011. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd10.130011
- Dombrowski, R. D., Welch, S. B., Welter, C., Barnett, G. M., & Cedeño, A. (2013). Model communities as a strategy for achieving policy, systems and environmental change for obesity control and reduction. International Public Health Journal, 5(3), 225.
- Lenihan, P.; Welter, C.; Chang, C.; and Gorenflo, G. (2007) “The Operational Definition of a Functional Local Public Health Agency: The Next Strategic Step in the Quest for Identity and Relevance.” Journal of Public Health Management and Practice 13, no. 4: 357–63.
Service to Community
2017 - 2020 Elected Member At-Large, Illinois Public Health Association
2018, Runner-up, Research to Practice Award, Health Administration Section, American Public Health Association
2018, Public Health Program of Excellence Award, Illinois Public Health Association
2017, Honorable Mention, 2017 Delta Omega Award for Innovative Public Health Curriculum, Delta Omega National Public Health Honor Society
2013, Active Living Research, Translating Research to Policy Award Recipient, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
2010 Dr.P.H. Public Health Leadership, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
2000 M.P.H. Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Interdepartmental Concentration in Women’s and Reproductive Health
1998 B.A. Medical Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Honors in Anthropology and Women’s Studies; Graduate Magna Cum Laude
Minor: Sociology, Gerontology, and Women’s Studies
American Public Health Association
American Evaluation Association
Society of Public Health Education
Illinois Public Health Association
- Conroy, L., Welter, C., and Bonney, T. “Lessons learned from the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health Center of Healthy Work.” Work Wellness and Disability Prevention Institute / Institut sur le bien-être au travail et la prévention de l’incapacité, formerly called Canadian Institute for the Relief of Pain and Disability. December, 2018.
- Welter, C., Bekemier, B., and McKeever, J. “Strategic Workforce Action Agenda.” Society for Public Health Education. November, 2018.
- Welter, C. Panelist. “The Way Forward: Building the Workforce of the Future.” National Public Health Workforce Forum. New Orleans, LA. May, 2018.
- Welter, C. “Public Health 3.0 in Illinois: Setting a Vision for the Future.” Illinois Public Health 3.0 Workforce Consortium. Springfield, IL. May, 2018.
- Welter, C., Jarpe-Ratner, E., Massuda-Barnet, G., Chebli, P., Hachett, L., Becker, A., and Geraci, M. “Understanding and catalyzing sustainable policy, systems and environmental change using participatory research with a local health department and its partners to drive population health improvements and address health equity.” American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA. November, 2018.
- At National Network of Public Health Institutes National Workforce Forum. May, 2018.
- Welter, C., Yankelev, A., Zanoni, J., Fisher, E., Pinsker, E., Jarpe-Ratner, E., Kapadia., G., Love, M., and Bonney, T. “Turning unhealthy work into health work: Healthy Communities through Healthy Work Action Research.”
- Welter, C., Bekemier, B., McKeever, J., and Edgar, M. “Establishing a National Public Health Workforce Strategic Action Agenda: Results and Recommendations from the Public Health Learning Network’s Environmental Scan.”
- Welter, C, Yankelev, A., Zanoni, J., Fisher, E., Pinsker, E., Jarpe-Ratner, E., Kapadia., G., Love, M., and Bonney, T. “Turning unhealthy work into health work: Healthy Communities through Healthy Work Action Research.” Total Worker Health Second International Symposium. Maryland. May, 2018.
- Welter, C., Bekemier, B., McKeever, J., and Edgar, M. “Strategic Public Health Workforce Action Agenda.” Public Health Learning Network. National Webinar. April, 2018.
- Welter, C., Jarpe-Ratner, E., Najo, S. Scallan, E., Davis, S., Mousavi, C, Guthrie, M, and Miner, K. “A Typology of Learning: Approaches to addressing 21st century public health challenges”. Society for Public Health Education, 69th Annual Conference, Columbus, OH. 2018.