LinkedIn User Guide
Create your own professional brand using LinkedIn.
LinkedIn is a professional social networking platform used by millions of professionals worldwide. LinkedIn is a great tool to connect with professionals in your field, gain insight on companies, and join professional groups in your respective field. This is an excellent way to see what professionals are doing with their degree in Public Health or other career professions of interest. There is abundant information that can help prepare you in every phase of your career whether it’s for a job search, career exploration, a career transition, interview readiness, or simply connecting with professionals in your field.
SPH Career Services conducts LinkedIn workshops throughout the year. If you are unable to attend a workshop, make an appointment to get started!
LinkedIn for Students: Starting Your Career
Additional Tips and Resources
- Visit LinkedIn and register for an account
- Add a professional photo
- Create a headline (academic or current position)
- Add an insightful summary that captures your professional brand as it relates to your career goals, specific skill set, training, experience and qualifications
- Include detailed information about your experience
- Add your skills (You can add up to 50)
- Be sure to include special projects and volunteer experience
- Follow companies and join groups – Join the UIC School of Public Health Group on LinkedIn
- Start connecting (build your professional network!)
- Contribute to the LinkedIn community – share information and join discussions