Logo Design Competition
We seek artists and graphic designers at UIC and within the community to develop a logo that represents the essence of the UIC Integrated PASEO program’s mission, vision and core values.
What is UIC Integrated PASEO?
The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), School of Public Health, Division of Community Health Sciences in collaboration with the Puerto Rican Cultural Center (PRCC) -Vida/SIDA (Vida/SIDA), proposes a project called UIC Integrated PASEO (Promoting Actions that support prevention and recovery through Services, Education, and Outreach). This program seeks to expand and enhance co-located substance abuse (SA), mental health (MH), hepatitis C and HIV prevention and care services for Hispanic/ Latino and African American LGBTQ young adults ages 18 – 24 who attend the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) or live in surrounding campus communities by providing seamless prevention, education and healthcare services.
To ensure the integrity of the UIC Integrated PASEO program, and garner a wide range of artistic expression, we are hosting the UIC Integrated PASEO Logo Design Competition with a winning design receiving a cash prize. Due date is May 8, 2017. This competition provides a unique opportunity to foster academic-community partnerships between UIC students and community-based organizations to work together to design a logo. Preference will be given to the design developed through a collaborative approach, but individual designs are welcomed.
For more details, see below.
About the Competition
Mission, Vision, and Values
To Promote Affirming Services, comprehensive Education and community Outreach to the young adults we serve, including LGBTQIA+
An inclusive and affirming community for the health of the whole person
Affirming: We are committed to providing inclusive and respectful care to all.
Inclusion: We believe caring for thw hole community is necessaries to promote positive health and well-being.
Safe Space: We believe in creating spaces where everyone feels safe, respected, and able to be their authentic self.
Empowerment: We are committed to increasing community members’ confidence in their ability to access the health care services and resources they have a right to attain.
Collaboration: We seek to build university-community relationships to facilitate access to affirming healthcare and resources.
The contest is open to UIC students and community members and community-based organizations. Individual designers may participate in the competition; however, preference will be given to submissions designed by both a UIC student and a community partner (community peer or community-based organization - CBO).
1. Submissions and entry forms should be sent to both Kevin Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org and Nikki Floyd at email@example.com.
2. It is preferred that entries be submitted using Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Indesign, or Adobe Illustrator.
3. Be sure to completely fill out the entry form, including providing a narrative describing the concept of your logo. Preference will be given to those that capture the essence of the logo based on the program’s population of interests, mission, vision, and care values.
4. May submit no more than 2 entries.
5. Submission deadline: May 8, 2017
The winning design developed through an academic-community-based organization collaboration will be awarded a $500 cash prize to be split evenly by both parties. The winning design developed by a single designer will be award a $250 cash prize.
The purpose of this contest is to design a logo for the UIC Integrated PASEO program. The logo will be used as part of the program’s marketing tools and may be presented in print format, web-based media, and promotion merchandise. Flexibility is a key requirement, including the need to resize easily and to look good in black and white as well as color. Entrants should take care to ensure that their entries are not in any way similar to existing logos or other copyrighted images. The logo must contain the words “UIC Integrated PASEO”.
Design and format Guidelines
Your design should be dynamic, unique, creative, clean and incorporate the full name of the campaign: “UIC Integrated PASEO”. The logo may incorporate other imagery, abstract symbols or a catchphrase.
Below are areas of consideration for developing your logo.
• How can you incorporate the program’s mission, vision, and core values into the design?
• How can you capture the essence of the program in the logo with a particular emphasis on the LGBTQ young adults of color? Suggested key areas may include LGBTQ, Queer, Youth, Young adults, Safe Space, Health, Mental Health, Students, Education, Stigma, Racism and Discrimination, Culture, African American and Latinx, Community, Visibility, Affirming, Respect, Love
• How would you combine words to make a logo?
• What color scheme would be most appealing? Would this logo also look great in black and white?
• Generate sketches while using
Max of 3 colors
2 types of fonts (font families)
• Collectivistic Effort (How are you planning to collaborate with a CBO? How do you plan to identify a CBO? What new experience might you gain from an academic-community partnership?)
• Consider submitting two different sketches
• Please submit the design in .png, .jpg or .psd format (Resolution of 300 dpi) AND as a .pdf file (less than 10MB).
• If the logo incorporates non-standards fonts, you must be able to provide us with the font should your logo be selected.
• If you are chosen as a winner, you MUST be able to provide a high-resolution vector file.
Upon completion of the competition, UIC Integrated PASEO acquires ownership of all logo submissions and artwork by assignment of copyright. All designers will disclaim any trademarks and without limitation all other rights related to the design. However, recognition of you will be given to acknowledge your work and talents. By participating, you agree to abide by the contest’s guidelines.