Annual Research and Practice Awards Day
We are pleased to announce the UIC School of Public Health's 10th Annual Student Research and Practice Awards Day. We will be honoring students competing in poster competitions and those receiving this year’s SPH school and division awards and scholarships. Poster viewing will be followed by a mid-afternoon awards ceremony and reception. Please see the important information below:
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
Key Deadlines for Participants
Intent to Participate form due: March 4, 2015 (5pm)
Abstract due: March 13, 2015 (5pm)
Deadlines for the Intent to Participate form, abstract, and poster printing are the same for all competitions.
Research and Practice Poster Competition
This is a school-wide competition open to all UIC School of Public Health students and UIC students conducting research at the Institute for Health Research and Policy (IHRP).
Students choose one of the following categories to compete:
- Master’s Research
- Master’s Practice
- Doctoral Research
- Doctoral Practice
- Undergraduate (Research and Practice)
Awards of $300 will be given to winning posters in each of the five categories.
Additional Competition Opportunities
In addition to the chosen competition above, eligible* students may participate in any of the following competitions:
- Global Health Poster Competition
Sponsored by the Global Health Initiative at the UIC School of Public Health, $300 will be awarded to one student who presents the highest scoring poster on a global health topic. *ELIGIBILITY: open to SPH Master’s or Doctoral level students
- Maternal and Child Health Poster Competition
Sponsored by the Maternal and Child Health Program, $250 will be awarded to one student who presents the highest scoring poster on a maternal and child health topic. *ELIGIBILITY: open to students enrolled in the SPH Maternal and Child Health program (MCHP) or the SPH Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology program.
- Translational Science Poster Competition
Sponsored by the Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCTS), a $100 Amazon gift card will be awarded for the highest scoring poster on a translational science topic. *ELIGIBILITY: open to SPH Master’s and Doctoral level students whose projects are relevant to the translation of clinical or observational studies into everyday clinical practice and health decision making. This may include, but is not limited to: community engagement, health research dissemination, health disparities among special populations (age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.), and research implementation. To learn more about the translational science spectrum, visit www.ccts.uic.edu.
In addition to the SPH Research and Practice Poster Competition abstract, the submitting author must provide a 150 word or less statement on the translational application of their project. Statements and abstracts should be submitted through the online form available at http://go.uic.edu/SPH_ResearchPrize. The CCTS will review the applications and provide eligible candidates with a unique marker to identify their poster for award consideration. Email Lauren Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding the CCTS Translational Science Prize.
Other Important Information
- Collaborative posters. Students can choose to collaborate on a poster and share the award money if their poster wins the competition. Posters with more than one presenter should choose a team leader to submit the Intent to Participate form and manage email communications from ORS relating to the event. All collaborators are encouraged to participate in the oral presentation of their poster.
- Poster Design Workshop (attendance highly recommended for all participants requiring poster printing services). Lucy Fu from the SPH Poster Printing Services Office will be presenting a poster design workshop on March 3, 2015 from 1-2pm in RM 1136. Please RSVP to Lucy Fu (email@example.com) if you plan to attend this session.
- Poster Printing Costs. One poster per student will be printed free of charge for SPH Research and Practice Awards Day. All other poster printing charges apply. For free posters, backgrounds must be white. Color backgrounds can be printed for an additional $25. Using posters that have been presented elsewhere is encouraged.
- UIC Student Research Forum. Students are also encouraged to participate in the campus-wide UIC Student Research Forum on Thursday, April 2, 2015 from 1-5pm. Visit http://research.uic.edu/srf for more information.
How to Participate
1. Submit Intent to Participate form
Complete the Intent to Participate form by 5pm on Wednesday March 4th. Access the form here: http://goo.gl/forms/aXdWvMt5XH
2. Submit abstract
Email abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, March 13th using the 2015 Abstract Template (access link below). If you do not need the SPH Poster Printing Services Office to print your poster, please be aware that your abstract must still be submitted by March 13th to be eligible for the competitions.
Faculty and alumni who wish to volunteer as poster judges are encouraged to contact Allyson Zeedrich (email@example.com) by March 20th.