ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Thank you for your interest in applying to the UIC Public Health Geographic Information Systems (PHGIS) online certificate program. This section provides instructions to successfully complete an application for admission to the program. Should you have any questions regarding eligibility, deadlines, requirements or the admissions process, we encourage you to contact us.
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university is the minimum academic requirement in order to be considered for application to the Public Health GIS certificate program.
Prospective students are required to submit the following in order to be considered for admission to the Public Health Geographic Information Systems online certificate program:
- COMPLETED APPLICATION AND FEE - students must apply to the University of Illinois at Chicago by completing the Graduate Certificate Program online application. There is a non-refundable application fee in the amount of $70.
- TRANSCRIPTS - A copy of the official baccalaureate transcript showing coursework and degree(s) conferred from an accredited university or college. While a grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 is required, a GPA close to 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is recommended.
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES - A concise typed statement of the student's reason for seeking education in public health geographic information systems. Please be sure to include your full name at the top of your personal statement.
- CURRENT RESUME OR CURRICULUM VITAE - Work history, including both full-time work and any substantive internships or part-time employment.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS:
TOEFL SCORES - INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS MUST PRESENT EVIDENCE OF ENGLISH COMPETENCY. OFFICIAL SCORES FROM THE TEST OF ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (TOEFL) ADMINISTERED BY THE EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE, PRINCETON, NJ 08540, MUST BE SENT TO UIC. THE UIC INSTITUTION CODE FOR THE TOEFL IS 1851. THE TEST MUST HAVE BEEN TAKEN WITHIN THE LAST TWO YEARS. MINIMUM SCORES REQUIRED: PAPER-BASED TOEFL = 550, COMPUTER BASED TOEFL = 213, IBT TOTAL SCORE = 80. THE USMLE AND ECFMG WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED IN LIEU OF THE TOEFL OR AS EVIDENCE OF ENGLISH COMPETENCY.
Where to Send Supplemental Documents
Public Health Geographic Information Systems Certificate
Division of Health Policy and Administration
UIC School of Public Health (MC 923)
1603 West Taylor Street, #778A
Chicago, Illinois 60612-4394
E-mail: PHGIS academic program coordinator
- Visit: http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/apply_grad_certificate.html
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on “Apply Now Certificate.” The admissions login screen will appear.
- Click on the "First time user account creation" link below the "login" button.
- Create a Login ID and a six-digit password for your application account and click on "login."
- Select the application type "Graduate Campus Certificate" and click on "continue."
- Select the appropriate admission term and type your first, middle and last name and click on "Fill out Application."
- The "Application Checklist" screen will appear with a number of sections to be completed. You will need to visit each of these sections one by one and complete all necessary fields.
- On the "Planned Course of Study" screen, the "Select your Program" drop down menu will appear. Choose "Pub Hlth Geographic Info Systems (Campus Cert Non-Degree)" and click the "Enter Other Majors, Minors and Concentrations" button.
- The “Concentration” drop down menu will appear. Choose “Pub Hlth Geographic Info Systm” and click “Continue.”
- Once you have filled out all the sections on the Application Checklist, click on "Application is Complete" to submit your application.
- If you wish to save your application and complete it at another time, click on "Finish Later" from the Application Checklist screen.
- To return to your saved application, follow steps 1 and 2 from above and sign in to the Admissions Login screen using the Login ID and password that you created previously.
- Click on the appropriate admission term for the “Graduate Campus Certificate” application under the "Applications in Progress" heading.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and submit your $70 non-refundable application fee.
- Once you have clicked on the "Application is Complete" button and your application and application fee have been submitted, please send us an e-mail stating that your application has been submitted online.
- Make sure to turn in all of your supplemental documents (listed on the Requirements page).
- Transcripts and TOEFL scores should be submitted to the UIC School of Public Health, Division of Health Policy and Administration.
- Your personal statement as well as your resume/curriculum vitae may be submitted electronically by sending an e-mail to the academic program coordinator. These documents may also be submitted via postal mail to the UIC School of Public Health, Division of Health Policy and Administration.
Tuition and Fees
The tuition for the Public Health GIS certificate program is currently $793 per credit hour.
Please note that tuition and fees are subject to change without notice any time prior to the first day of instruction.
Financial Aid is available for degree-seeking programs at the University of Illinois at Chicago. As a graduate certificate program, the Public Health GIS certificate does not result in a degree; therefore, financial aid is not offered for this program.
Tuition assistance is available in the form of UIC scholarships and School of Public Health scholarships and Graduate College financial aid. Please visit the following Web sites for more information.
• UIC Scholarships
• School of Public Health
For specific information, students should contact the UIC Financial Aid Office directly.
ADDITIONAL ADMISSIONS POLICIES
Changing from Certificate to Degree Program
Students may transfer credits earned in the certificate program towards the fulfillment of the UIC Master of Public Health in Public Health Informatics or the Master of Public Health in Health Policy and Administration (both online programs), should you choose to pursue an MPH degree. (Application and admission to the desired master’s degree program is required).
Admission as a certificate student does not guarantee admission to any of the UIC School of Public Health degree seeking programs. Please visit the Admissions page of the UIC School of Public Health Web site for more information.
To transfer credits, the student must earn a minimum letter grade of "B" or above in all of the Public Health GIS courses. Students must attain a 3.00 grade point average (on a 4.00 point scale) to receive the Public Health GIS certificate.
Students cannot transfer any coursework from another institution into the certificate program.