The non-degree admission option is ideal for prospective students who want to:
- take courses for professional development, but do not wish to pursue a degree
- get started on coursework now, but have missed an admissions deadline
Non-degree students may petition to transfer up to 12 credit hours into the Master of Public Health in Health Policy and Administration online degree program.
As you take courses as a non-degree seeking student, you may want to consider completing an online certificate program offered by the UIC School of Public Health. Credits earned as part of a certificate program may be applied to your MPH degree. Read more about the certificate programs on the Online Programs page.
NON-DEGREE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university is the minimum requirement for admission as a non-degree student. Application to the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is required for admission. Students must apply by completing the Graduate Non-Degree online application. Besides submitting a completed application form and non-refundable UIC application fee, applicants must submit the following supplemental documents to UIC's School of Public Health, Division of Health Policy and Administration (address below) in order to be considered for admission as a non-degree student.
1. TRANSCRIPTS - A copy or official baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate transcript(s) with degree conferred from an accredited university or college. While a grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 is required, a GPA close to 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is recommended.
2. PERSONAL STATEMENT - A concise typed statement of your reason for seeking education in public health policy and management. Please be sure to include your full name at the top of your personal statement.
3. CURRENT RESUME OR CURRICULUM VITAE
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
1. FOREIGN TRANSCRIPTS - International academic documents that are evaluated by a professional credential evaluation service that holds membership in the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), in lieu of transcripts, are also acceptable.
2. TOEFL SCORES - International applicants must present evidence of English competency. Official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, must be sent to UIC. UIC's institution code for the TOEFL is 1851. The test must have been taken within the last two years. Minimum scores required: paper-based TOEFL = 550, computer based TOEFL = 213, IBT total score = 80. The USMLE and ECFMG will not be considered in lieu of the TOEFL or as evidence of English competency.
NON-DEGREE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
2. Scroll down to the end of the page and click on "Apply Now Domestic" or "Apply Now International." The admissions login screen will appear.
3. Click on the "First time user account creation" link below the "login" button.
4. Create a Login ID and a six-digit password for your application account and click on "login".
5. Select the application type "Graduate Non-Degree" and click on "continue."
6. Select the appropriate admission term and type your first, middle and last name and click on "Fill out Application".
7. The "Application Checklist" screen will appear with a number of sections to be completed. You will need to visit each of these sections one by one and complete all necessary fields.
8. On the "Planned Course of Study" screen, the "Select your Program" drop down menu will appear. Choose "Non-Degree Public Health-Health Plcy and Admin (Online)" and click "Continue".
9. Once you have filled out all the sections on the Application Checklist, click on "Application is Complete" to submit your application.
- If you wish to save your application and complete it at another time, click on "Finish Later" from the Application Checklist screen.
- To return to your saved application, follow steps 1 and 2 from above and sign in to the Admissions Login screen using the Login ID and password that you created previously.
- Click on the appropriate admission term for the “Graduate Non-Degree” application under the “Applications in Progress” heading.
10. Follow the on-screen instructions and submit your non-refundable $60 application fee.
11. Once you have clicked on the "Application is Complete" button and your application and application fee have been submitted, please send us an e-mail stating that your application has been submitted online.
12. Make sure to turn in all of your supplemental documents.
All hard copy materials (such as transcripts and TOEFL scores) should be submitted to:
MPH in Policy and Management - Credit Non-Degree
Health Policy and Administration
UIC School of Public Health (MC 923)
1603 West Taylor Street, #778A
Chicago, Illinois 60612-4394
Fax: (312) 413-0800
Your personal statement as well as your resume/curriculum vitae may be submitted electronically by sending an e-mail to the academic program coordinator. These documents may also be submitted via postal mail to UIC's School of Public Health, Division of Health Policy and Administration.
NON-DEGREE ADMISSION DEADLINES
|Fall||July 15||August 1|
|Spring||November 1||November 15|
|Summer||April 1||April 15|
*Strongest consideration is given to candidates who apply before the preferred program deadline.
Do you have more questions about the non-degree admissions? Simply fill out the Ask a Question Form to contact us.