WHAT DO WE DO?
The University of Illinois at Chicago Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Education and Research Center (Illinois ERC) provides MPH, MS and PhD training in industrial hygiene, occupational safety, hazardous substances, occupational epidemiology, residency training in occupational medicine, and undergraduate and graduate education in agricultural health and safety. We also provide continuing education and outreach programs to professionals and the community. The Illinois ERC is in the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health and is funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
Over the past 30 years the Illinois ERC has worked with professional associations, government agencies, other university and college programs, and individuals to understand and address the occupational safety and health training needs regionally, nationally, and internationally. Each year approximately 15 new occupational safety and health professionals graduate and continuing education is provided to more than 2000 such professionals.
The Illinois ERC supports two research training programs, a pilot project research training program which provides small grants to new occupational safety and health investigators and a targeted research training program that provides support to interdisciplinary research training teams of faculty and students.
Opportunities for students include:
• Traineeships (email@example.com) in industrial hygiene, occupational safety, occupational and environmental epidemiology, occupational health nursing, and occupational medicine. For more information on traineeships, please see the program pages or the FAQ section.
• Residency (firstname.lastname@example.org) training in occupational and environmental medicine.
• International (email@example.com) research and internships in countries such as Switzerland, Ukraine, India, South Africa.
• Distance education (firstname.lastname@example.org) for academic and continuing education courses in occupational and environmental health.
• Conferences (email@example.com) regionally, nationally and internationally.
• Employment (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the environmental and occupational field in government, industry, academia and consulting. Job opportunities include U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Abbott Laboratories, Ford Motor Co., Motorola, ArcelorMittal, the Cook County Department of Environmental Control, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, and other local and national companies and organizations.
Find out what Public Health does by watching this video courtesy of the American Public Health Association:
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON APPLYING TO THE ILLINOIS ERC, PLEASE SEE THE FAQ SECTION.
Lisa Brosseau, ScD, MS
Illinois Education and Research Center Director
Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences
University of Illinois at Chicago
School of Public Health (M/C 922)
2121 West Taylor Street
Chicago, Illinois 60612-7260