WHAT DO WE DO?
The University of Illinois at Chicago Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Education and Research Center (Illinois ERC) provides masters and doctoral training in industrial hygiene, occupational safety, occupational and environmental epidemiology, and agricultural health and safety, and residency training in occupational medicine. We also provide continuing education to occupational health and safety professionals. The Illinois ERC is in the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health and is funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
Over the past 30 years the Illinois ERC has worked with professional associations, government agencies, other university and college programs, and individuals to understand and address the occupational safety and health training needs regionally, nationally, and internationally. Each year approximately 15 new occupational safety and health professionals graduate and continuing education is provided to more than 2000 such professionals.
The Illinois ERC supports two research training programs, a pilot project research training program which provides small grants to new occupational safety and health investigators and a targeted research training program that provides support to interdisciplinary research training teams of faculty and students.
Opportunities for students include:
• Traineeships (firstname.lastname@example.org) in industrial hygiene, occupational safety, occupational and environmental epidemiology, occupational health nursing, and occupational medicine. For more information on traineeships, please see the program pages or the FAQ section.
• Residency (email@example.com) training in occupational and environmental medicine.
• Distance education (firstname.lastname@example.org) for academic and continuing education courses in occupational and environmental health.
• Conferences (email@example.com) regionally, nationally and internationally.
• Employment (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the environmental and occupational field in government, industry, academia and consulting. Job opportunities include U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Abbott Laboratories, Ford Motor Co., Motorola, ArcelorMittal, the Cook County Department of Environmental Control, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, and other local and national companies and organizations.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON APPLYING TO THE ILLINOIS ERC, PLEASE SEE THE FAQ SECTION.
Lisa Brosseau, ScD, CIH
Illinois Education and Research Center
Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences
University of Illinois at Chicago
School of Public Health (M/C 922)
2121 West Taylor Street
Chicago, Illinois 60612-7260