SPH Commencement Information
Dr. Julie Morita was appointed as commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) in early 2015. Under Dr. Morita’s leadership, CDPH developed and launched Healthy Chicago 2.0, a four-year plan to assure healthy equity by addressing the social determinants of health. In addition, under her leadership, CDPH led efforts to pass several tobacco prevention initiatives including raising the age for purchasing tobacco products to 21 years.
Previously, Dr. Morita served as CDPH’s Chief Medical Officer leading the city’s response to the pandemic influenza outbreak where she developed a system to distribute more than one million doses of vaccine across the city as well as the city’s efforts to prevent the introduction and spread of the Ebola virus. Dr. Morita has served as a member of the Institute of Medicines Committee on Community Based Solutions to Promote Health Equity, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, the National Vaccine Advisory Committee, and the Illinois Chapter of American Academy of Pediatrics.
Prior to her time with CDPH, Dr. Morita served as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer with the CDC and worked in private practice. She is a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago Medical School.
SPRING 2017 COMMENCEMENT
The Commencement Ceremony for graduating students will take place at the UIC Forum on Friday, May 5, 2017. Commencement will begin promptly at 3:30 p.m. and the ceremony will conclude at approximately 5:15 p.m. All graduates are required to arrive no later than 2:30 p.m. Upon arrival the UIC Forum staff will direct you to the area reserved for participating graduates. There will be a reception in a tented area nearby the Forum immediately following the Commencement Ceremony.
RSVP to Participate
Graduates, who plan to participate in the ceremony, must fill out the Graduate RSVP Form by Monday, March 20, 2017.
Faculty, who plan to participate in the ceremony, must fill out the Faculty RSVP Form by Friday, March 10, 2017.
ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN COMMENCEMENT
The Commencement Ceremony at the University occurs only once per year. The School of Public Health holds its annual Commencement Ceremony each year in May. Commencement is the occasion for the recognition of graduates by the School and the conferral of degrees. The graduating class consists of summer 2016, fall 2016, and spring 2017 graduates.
Summer 2017 graduates are not automatically eligible to participate. Please read the Eligibility to Participate in Commencement.
Graduates with special needs must contact the UIC Forum at (312) 413-9875 at least 2 days prior to the College Commencement ceremony to arrange for a seat location and assistance to enable them to participate in the ceremony. Guests with special needs or those hearing-impaired may request seating assistance from the staff on duty. A sign language interpreter will be present on the stage for the benefit of students and guests who are hearing impaired.
The UIC Forum is located at 725 W. Roosevelt Road (corner of Halsted Street and Roosevelt Road). For directions please visit the UIC Forum website.
Visitor parking is available one block south of the UIC Forum at 701 W. Maxwell St. (Lot MXPS, Halsted and Maxwell Street). Additional parking is available in lots located at 760 West Taylor Street (Halsted and Taylor Street) and 1135 South Morgan Street (Roosevelt and Morgan Street).
2:30 p.m. – All graduates are required to arrive no later than 2:30 p.m. for final instructions and line-up for the ceremony
3:30 p.m. – Commencement procession begins
3:35 p.m. – Opening remarks by Dean
5:15 p.m. – Reception begins
- Provide information for guests attending commencement. Commencement is not a ticketed event and you do not need to RSVP. Commencement information including directions and parking information are located here. For out-of-town guests, a list of hotels is available here. If you have family who cannot attend, they may view the ceremony from home live on the Internet. To access the webcast, please visit the UIC Commencement website at the designated time of the ceremony. Viewers will need to click on the link for the School of Public Health.
- Purchase Academic Dress (cap, gown, tassel and hood). All SPH graduates should order their caps and gowns for the UIC Medical Bookstore located in Student Center West. Questions can be directed to the UIC Bookstore at (312) 413-5550. In-store sales begin in early April.
The cost is as follows: Bachelor's: $30.95; Master's: $55.95; and PhD/Doctoral: $82.95. (The most current and complete information can be found here).
Please note the following details regarding academic regalia:
- BA: Blue cap, blue gown, white tassel
- MS: Blue cap, blue gown, tassel and hood indicative of college (SPH: Salmon Color)
- PhD: Red cap, red gown, gold tassel, and indigo hood lined with flame and indigo
- Doctor (excluding PhD): Black cap, black gown, tassel and hood indicative of college (SPH Salmon Color).
- MPH and MHA: Blue cap, blue gown, salmon colored hood and salmon colored tassel
- Order graduation announcements if desired. Graduation announcements can be ordered through: Jostens.