RESUME WRITING TIPS- GETTING STARTED:
1. Identify the goal of your resume
- What professional brand are you selling?
- What skill set are you marketing?
2. Define your target audience
- What companies are you interested in?
- What qualities do they value?
- What skill set are they looking for?
3. Create your “branding statement”
- Create a branding statement describing who you are as a professional
- Describe key skills and experiences as they relate to the position you are applying for
- What contributions have you made to your industry / previous employers? What is your value?
4. Reflect on your experience. What are some of your major contributions and/or accomplishments?
- Your bullet points should be accomplishments-driven. Avoid listing job functions.
BASIC RESUME GUIDELINES
- Avoid using an objective. Create a “Career Profile” or “Summary of Qualifications”
- Be sure to begin with action verbs to describe how you contributed to your employers
- Quantify whenever possible
- Show contributions / outcomes
- Prioritize information
- Keep resume 1-2 pages
- Avoid using “responsible for” “duties included”
- Avoid clutter
- Be consistent (fonts and formatting)
- Make your resume visually appealing (use bullet points, bold headings, use italics sparingly)
- Do not use templates
- Do not include personal information (age, marital status, social security number etc.)
- Use a professional email address
- Be honest and avoid embellishing
- Do not use “I” “My” or “Me”
- Do not include high school information
- References should be on a separate page, avoid using “References available upon request”
- Tailor your resume to your audience
- Keep it professional and PROOFREAD!
ADDITIONAL RESUME RESOURCES:
- SPH Career Services Pinterest Resume Board
- Work It Daily (Resume Resources)
- Quintessential Careers
- Federal Resume Writing Video (USA Jobs)
Need help with your resume or CV? Contact SPH Career Services at 312.413.9126 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an individualized appointment.