WHAT IS MSAPH?
Minority Students for the Advancement of Public Health (MSAPH) is a student organization within the UIC School of Public Health. The purpose of MSAPH is to strengthen the underrepresented student graduate experience by providing opportunities to build supportive networks and social bonding within the UIC community. MSAPH builds these networks through its meetings, events, and activities that focus on academic support, professional growth, peer networking, and community service.
MSAPH holds monthly general meetings in the Student Lounge on the first floor of SPHPI. The goal of our monthly meetings is to provide important information to support your academic and professional development, as well as opportunities for social and civic engagement. Our meetings also provide a supportive environment to facilitate peer networking.
VISION OF MSAPH
Minority Students for the Advancement of Public Health has adopted the motto "Lifting As We Climb." The motto represents our dedication to building a supportive system for students as we embark on our careers in public health. Graduate school can be an extremely demanding endeavor. There will be challenges to overcome on your path to success.
MSAPH exists so that you do not have to make your journey alone. We are committed to providing you with the tools that are critical to helping you achieve academic and professional success. If you need support for personal, academic, or professional reasons, we encourage you to contact any member of the executive board, or the MSAPH advisor. Most importantly, remember that you can succeed in graduate school. None of us would have been accepted if we did not possess the skills needed for success in graduate school and beyond.
GOALS OF MSAPH
- To provide an atmosphere that will assist underrepresented graduate students in achieving academic and professional success.
- To act as a strong voice for the underrepresented graduate community by actively dealing with issues that affect the growth and success of MSAPH members.
- To work with the School of Public Health administration in recognizing and addressing the needs of MSAPH members.
- To represent MSAPH in a manner that will command respect and admiration from fellow graduate students, administrators, and professors.
- To provide positive role models for students through the Mentor Program and other initiatives involving area professionals.
- To provide leadership opportunities for students that will help them develop the skills and work habits needed to enhance their future professional growth.
- To emphasize the importance of contributing to the community by encouraging students to volunteer their time with various organizations, and become more politically active in issues pertaining to our communities.
- To assist students in identifying employment and financial assistance opportunities through postings, job fairs, and networking events
MSAPH is a non-dues-paying student organization. All underrepresented students of the School of Public Health are considered active MSAP members. Non-SPH students and non-minority students who have an interest in addressing health disparities are also invited to join MSAPH.
Membership in MSAPH offers a variety of rewarding and enjoyable benefits:
- Access to mentors within the school to guide students through the rigors of graduate school experience.
- Access to books, study guides, and outline banks.
- Opportunity to run for and hold office.
- Opportunity to vote in elections and on MSAPH matters.
- Meeting people and networking.
- Invitations to receptions for speakers and presenters at special events.
- Access to a wealth of experiences and opportunities through our affiliations with groups like the National Association of Health Care
- Executives (NAHCE), the Chicago Urban League, and the African American Health Care Council.
For additional information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamel Russell President
Lakeisha Watson Vice President
Nathaniel Lewis Public Relations
Shruti Patel Treasurer
Timeah Rogers Secretary
Erin Raymond Events Chair